Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Fancy Hospital Gown

Completely impractical. I imagine I'm not going to give a hoot what I'm wearing when labor is happening, but I thought I might like to have one anyway. I first saw them on {*surprise*} Pinterest, which linked me over to Etsy. The variety I like the most is from Milk Threads Maternity. I love the designs and color combinations. The only thing I really couldn't wrap my head around was paying a $60 price tag for something that will only be worn once and likely be completely gross after birth.

And then, like most crafty things that I don't want to pay a million dollars for, I thought I would just make one myself. I went with a more simplistic design than the gowns from Milk Threads. This is mainly because I'm a novice seamstress *at best.*

I perused the fabrics at JoAnn until I found something super soft yet durable. It's basically a nursery fabric. It feels like a cross between flannel and jersey. Very nice. I bought 3 yards at 40% off and some nice ribbon and paid less than half the price of the pre-made gowns on Etsy.

With all that fabric I was able to make 2 gowns (one for delivery and one for post delivery) and still have enough left over to make a nursing cover.

And here's what I came up with: (Please, forgive the terrible iPhone pictures)

[caption id="attachment_612" align="aligncenter" width="532"]Hospital Gown The front[/caption]

Super simple with ties at the shoulders for easy nursing access. I would still like to possibly change up the ties and use something a little more like the Milk Thread gowns. Those are a little more sturdy and seem more practical than bows that could possibly just irritate me.

[caption id="attachment_611" align="aligncenter" width="472"]The very fashionable backside The very fashionable backside[/caption]

And, what hospital gown would be complete without a slit up the backside. For modesty's sake, I also put in snaps so my rear-end doesn't completely hang out at all times.

I haven't made the nursing cover yet, we'll see how that goes another day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey could you explain how you did this? Is so darling. I want to attempt one too good this summer when baby comes

    ReplyDelete