Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Baby Bag

There are three things that I think about fairly often when it comes to Baby Taylor.

  • The Nursery

  • The Stroller

  • The Baby Bag


These are the three things that will most likely stick with us for multiple years and so I really want to choose wisely. I want to figure out what will be the most important characteristics for me and what can grow with baby. This seems slightly impossible since I really have nothing to base my *needs* on other than the experiences of my family, friends, and the internet-world, but I think I'll make do. Live and learn, I suppose.

After deciding on a nursery theme, my mind went straight to the baby bag. And yes, I'm fairly certain I've already figured out which one I want. The baby bag is the smallest of the three items listed above (and the one that will be the easiest to replace if I choose the wrong one), so I don't mind that I've made such an early decision without even knowing what really goes into a diaper bag. Well, other than diapers... clearly.

Before I really even began my search, I made a list of things I was looking for (again, without really knowing what I will need) and it looks a little something like this:

-Netural/Nondescript: I don't want a bag that screams BABY! I think the actual screaming baby will give that away all by itself. I want it to kind of go with all kinds of outfits AND be masculine enough for Cory to hold. Not that Cory wouldn't hold a hot pink and feathered bag for his sweet little baby, but let's be reasonable and get the guy something he'd be a little more comfortable with.

-Pockets: I love pockets. I had pockets sewn into my wedding dress. I try not to buy clothes without pockets. It's ALL ABOUT POCKETS. But they have to be easy to get into. If they're all buttoned and zippered, it takes all the fun out of the pocket.

-Insulated areas: I imagine a baby running around in a year or two and getting sweaty.. and thirsty... and hungry... Having an area dedicated to hot or cold items would be excellent. Maybe even room for a bottle of water for myself or Cory.

And uhm. Well that's all I could think of initially. Then I started looking at what other moms carry and what make a good diaper bag for them. A light/wipe-able interior was a common attribute that most women found helpful. So I added those to my list.

That's when I came across the most excellent diaper bag. The SoYoung Charlie Bag.

[gallery type="square" columns="2" ids="265,271,270,272"]

It's a little pricey in terms of diaper bags, but the features on it seem perfect (for me). Here are the features of the bag:

  • Can be used with shoulder straps, messenger bag strap, or can be converted to a backpack. It also has straps that connect to the handle of the stroller for easy access.

  • Laminated changing mat included. Machine washable.

  • Reinforced bottom to protect material.

  • Fits a 13" laptop easily.

  • Removable key clip.

  • Back flap to hold bulky items (e.g. newspapers, umbrellas, yoga mats, sweaters, towels, etc.)

  • Built-in sunglasses pocket, wallet holder and phone pocket

  • Insulated side bottle pockets

  • All compartments are light-colored and laminated for easy browsing and cleanup.

  • Full size insulated compartment.

  • Front pockets are magnetic and easy to get into with one hand.

  • Large interior compartment for diapers, wipes, etc. etc. etc.... with mesh pockets so you can see into them with ease and nothing gets lost.


Andd.. probably some other things that I neglected to mention. I watched a YouTube review of this bag a few days ago that helped me make my decision. It's 15 minute review... so I don't recommend watching it unless you're really bored or really interested in getting the bag, but she's quite thorough.

So that's that. The bag has been selected. Hopefully it won't be discontinued or something terrible like that before we're ready to purchase!

2 comments:

  1. This is the same baby bag that I want, too! I love that it doesn't scream baby and my hubby can carry it without being embarrassed! I'm curious to see it worn backpack style. I also looked at the Storksak Sophia and the Skip Hop Grand Central...but, neither have that large insulated bag, which I'm sure will be very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that insulated compartment is what sold me! Like the maternity shirts, I think iId totally carry this bag without a baby. :)

    ReplyDelete